Have an account?

Sunday, April 11, 2010

You Are What Surround You

Lately, I kept observing Papi and thinking what this boy wants to show me or what I can learn from him.

Papi is totally opposite of what his ex-fosterer, Lien (not her real name) had described him to me. Lien was scared of him. The first time when Lien brought me to the vet to see Papi, she was scared FOR me! Hehehhe... She scared Papi would bite me.

Papi was aggressive at home. He was food possessive, didn't get along with the other dog at home and he even bit Lien's dad. He growled and barked at guests who came to the house. Lien is scared to handle him and nobody at home also could handle this boy.

She told me there were some people who went to check Papi out to adopt him but when they were there, Papi started to growl and bark at that person. Lien said maybe if we rehabilitate and train him, it's easier to get someone to adopt him. So, I took him to DHR Canine Centre.

Taking Papi from the Vet. He was with the helper.

This is the video I took the first time Papi arrived at DHR Canine Centre and met up with Gabriel and Jasper...




I was surprised at the way Papi reacted to Gabriel and Jasper. The first time they met, Papi went straight to play with them!

He didn't show any aggressiveness with other dogs unless other dogs initiate the fight first. Only one time when my friend gave him a rawhide bone, and when my friend wanted to go near him later, he growled and barked at my friend. He just met her for the first time. I guess he still doesn't trust her. But with me, when I approached him when he had his bone, he'd drop the bone and came to me instead.

I believe Papi is totally a different dog here at DHR Canine Centre. He's the most playful 2 year old, loving and affectionate. I can't take any credit for changing his behavior as I didn't do anything! I just treat him like my other dogs. I believe he changed because his surrounding has changed.

LIFE LESSON

What can we learn from this? I heard about a saying, "We are what we eat". But I believe that WE ARE WHAT SURROUND US. What surrounds us actually have more impact than what we eat.

One can eat the same good stuff as another person, but if this person stays with jerks, people who stressed him/her out, suck out her energy by always talk about negative things and putting this person down, this person could turn out to be a monster.

I have a friend who was a lovely, kind and lively person but once she was in a 'not so great' environment, she was totally a different person!

So, be VERY careful with choosing the people who are going to be around you or choosing your environment.

What do you think? Do you have a similar experience? Please share by adding comment to this post.

0 comments:

Post a Comment